PDA

ÅðéóôñïöÞ óôï Forum : Andy Priaulx and Martin Tomczyk at the Race of Champions.

BMW Power
02-12-11, 12:03
Andy Priaulx and Martin Tomczyk at the Race of Champions.

BMW works drivers Andy Priaulx and Martin Tomczyk will pit their wits against top-class opposition at the Race of Champions on 3rd and 4th December. The three-time World Touring Car Champion and the DTM Champion, who will line up for BMW in the coming season, will compete in a selection of different cars in Düsseldorf's Esprit Arena.

http://www.bmw-motorsport.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/motorsport/news/2011/november/andy_priaulx_and_martin_tomczyk_at_the_race_of_cha mpions/1664505-1-eng-GB/andy_priaulx_and_martin_tomczyk_at_the_race_of_cha mpions_news_detail.jpg

The top stars of the international motorsport scene assemble at the end of each season to put their driving skills to the test. Racing drivers from Formula One, touring cars, rallying and NASCAR go head to head in direct duels to see who will progress to the final. They compete in identical cars on a specially built parallel circuit. The drivers must show great versatility, however, as they are required to demonstrate their prowess in different disciplines, including a 150hp buggy, the 170hp ROC car, and a GT car generating 525hp.

For Andy Priaulx, the event begins on Saturday with the prestigious ROC Nations Cup. Together with Formula One driver Jenson Button, Priaulx will be representing Great Britain against opponents including the German team of Michael Schumacher and Sebastian Vettel. Last year Priaulx/Button narrowly lost out to the German pair in the final. The "Champion of Champions" race, at which Martin Tomczyk will also be keen to challenge for the title, is scheduled for Sunday.

"It is always fun to take part in the Race of Champions and this year is no exception," says Priaulx. "The atmosphere in the stadium is special and the racing is intense and competitive. After three individual semi-finals it would also be good to make it a step further. I really enjoyed fighting Michael and Sebastian on their home turf last year, along with so many other big names. We were just pipped in the ROC Nations Cup final but hopefully Jenson and I can finally do the business this year."

Unlike Priaulx, Tomczyk is yet to experience the Race of Champions. Despite this, the BMW driver is looking forward to the challenge. "Only the world¢s best racing drivers are invited to contest the Race of Champions,” said Tomczyk. “So the fact that I have qualified to join this illustrious circle as DTM champion makes me rather proud," says the man from Bavaria. "The permanent switching from one vehicle to another looks like one of the biggest challenges at the Race of Champions. I¢m really curious to find out how it will feel to race rally cars, open buggies and anything else that has got four wheels and is fun to drive."

http://www.raceofchampions.com/

BMW Power
05-12-11, 15:50
04/12/2011 17:49:00

Sébastien Ogier hails ¡amazing¢ Race Of Champions victory at his very first attempt
Beaten finalist Tom Kristensen declares ROC ¡better than Christmas¢ after wins over Michael Schumacher and Sebastian Vettel
ROC Nations Cup winners Schumacher and Vettel still happy despite missing out on individual glory again
New ROC Champion of Champions Sébastien Ogier is celebrating after his ¡amazing¢ win in Sunday¢s Race Of Champions in Düsseldorf.
The rally ace defeated Le Mans legend Tom Kristensen in the final, but the Dane was still smiling after beating Michael Schumacher and Sebastian Vettel in front of their home fans.
The two finalists put a stellar line-up of motorsport stars in the shade in head-to-head battles around the ESPRIT arena. After a breathless afternoon of action, this is what some of the drivers had to say:
Sébastien Ogier (Champion of Champions): “I¢m so happy. It was a very nice weekend. Tom is a really good driver but to win this race at the first attempt is amazing. There are a lot of new cars to learn here plus the track as well. But I pushed hard all the way and I didn¢t do too badly. I had a lot of fun out there though I want to congratulate Jan Kopecký for a nice race in the Skoda, which I¢ll be driving next year. I was very proud to be invited to the Race Of Champions. It¢s very nice to do it and to have the chance to meet all these great drivers. It¢s a good party and a happy end to the year.”
Tom Kristensen (runner-up): “Sébastien is a very deserved winner. He had the edge on cold tyres, especially in the ROC car. But it¢s great fun to be out driving so many cars – that is an amazing experience, and especially to make it to the final on both days. To beat both Michael and Sebastian was a really big achievement for me today, particularly in Germany. It¢s something very special but it¢s difficult to celebrate when you're not exactly giving the crowds the result they want! I did all I could in the final and I love being part of this event. It¢s almost better than Christmas!”
Michael Schumacher (semi-finalist): “Of course I¢d like to have gone further, but the whole point of this event is the atmosphere and the fun we have. Congratulations to Tom Kristensen for knocking me out in the semi-finals. It was pretty tight but it¢s not about the two hundredths that separated us or the fact that I beat Seb earlier in the evening. You always enjoy winning, absolutely, and if you win against a good driver that¢s even better. But win or lose I¢ve had a really enjoyable weekend here, as ever.”
Martin Tomczyk (semi-finalist): “Today went really well. After Friday when we had just one lap with every car I didn¢t know what to expect. But it went well and to beat Mattias Ekström in the rally car is unbelievable. It¢s nice to sit in the different cars too – and I especially enjoyed my first real run in a rally car. It¢s just pure fun and the lap time isn¢t bad either. There are some really good drivers here and I really appreciate being here to race against these different competitors from all over the world.”
Sebastian Vettel: “There was a great vibe here, not only last night but also today. We had a good party last night, but that wasn't the problem today against Michael. On the first lap I was a bit behind, then I tried to make up for it and I made a few small mistakes. It's a shame I got knocked out, but that's the way it goes. Coming back here was very special for us and having fun was the most important thing this weekend.”
Romain Grosjean: “It was a pity to go out by such a tight margin in the group stages, but those are the rules. I thought I was through but I was half a second down in the play-off over fastest times. But the Race Of Champions is special. The world¢s very best drivers are here and it¢s a great show to see these guys driving all the cars to the limit. The ROC car is good and I was pleasantly surprised by the World Touring Racecar. It was the first time that I¢ve driven a rally car too, so I really enjoyed my run in that. But the main thing is having fun every time I get in the car and to put on a show for the crowds in the stadium.”
Vitaly Petrov: “It was a pity that I didn¢t progress further today but I still had a good weekend. It was an interesting feeling to beat Michael Schumacher in yesterday¢s ROC Nations Cup. Some of the other drivers have raced here a lot already so they know what to do. I was a bit more prepared in the KTM X-Bow than in the World Touring Racecar, which is hard to drive because it¢s so huge. But most of the cars were good and it was enjoyable getting used to them.”
Jan Kopecký: “I had a really nice race against Sébastien Ogier in the Skoda. I fell asleep at the start and lost a bit on the first lap, but didn¢t make any mistakes at all on the second lap and I beat him by a tenth. Otherwise it was difficult for me. In the other cars I didn¢t have so much confidence because the practice was only two laps. I raced against Mattias Ekström in an Audi so I knew it would be hard to beat him unless he made a mistake. But I¢m happy to have been here because all the other drivers are really amazing – and always happy to talk about whatever you want.”
Filipe Albuquerque: “I love this event but today couldn¢t have gone worse, really. There were high expectations on me after I won here last year but in the first race the car just died on me. From there unfortunately I couldn¢t make my way back in the other heats. It shows it¢s not easy to win the Race Of Champions but it remains a great event and at least I proved I could do it last year.”
Jenson Button: “I missed last year¢s Race Of Champions because I had other commitments but it¢s really good to be back. I may not have won but this is always a very special event with a good atmosphere. You¢re racing against guys from your own formula plus others from around the world like motorbikes and off-road racing. You wouldn¢t normally get to meet up with those guys. So we enjoy both the driving and the evenings. The facilities are fantastic here as well: the circuit is great, in a great arena.”
David Coulthard: “This event is all about the camaraderie between the drivers. It¢s just really nice to compete. It¢s only a two-lap race but the fact that you have the ROC Nations Cup first means you don¢t want to let your team-mate down. Then you have the individual race and all the social events outside the cars. This wouldn¢t happen if it wasn¢t for Fredrik Johnsson. He¢s got a great way of engaging with people and pulling everyone in. Jenson¢s just finished an incredibly long F1 season along with Michael and Sebastian, yet they¢re quite happy to be here. If this was a promotion and it felt like you were working, no chance!”

http://www.raceofchampions.com/

BMW Power
05-12-11, 15:50
http://www.e-go.gr/wmotors/articles.asp?catid=15661&subid=2&pubid=7210310